Saturday, May 14, 2011

SHARING PHA’s EARLY BLOGGING EXPERIENCES: 4 REVELATIONS AND MORE

It is with the hope that the early followers of the PHA blog will catch interest in being an active member of the blog community that I outline some of the insights and experiences gained. I am telling this from the perspective of someone who took the plunge unto the blogging arena with zero knowledge of what to expect.  Whatever learned in the process were therefore revelations to me.
REVELATIONS:

1.      HIGH RATE OF FILIPINO COMPUTER LITERACY. My search for relevant information at http://wiki.answers.com/ brought me to the Philippine Statistical Information and Demographics data that the Philippine's projected population for 2011 hovers at over 90millions and below 94millions.  It however did not give an answer to more specific questions as to how many Filipinos are computer literate or have access to computers, be they rented or owned.  It however gave me the answer that there are 22.3 million Filipinos who are Facebook users; that said number represents 75% of the country's on-line population.  Counting 23% of the total population as FB users, then the number becomes higher for computer literates who are not FB users.

2.      BLOGGERS’ COUNT. At my Certified Blog and Social Media Entrepreneurship course, mentor blogger extraordinaire Janette Toral of Digital Filipino.com, put the count of bloggers in the country at around 500,000.  I did not realize how easy it would be to start up a simple blog. Lots of providers are available.  In my case, I decided on using blogger.com as my platform.  My primary reason is because it is owned by Google and that it seemed easier and has fewer complications than the others.

3.      VALUE OF A GOOD MENTOR. I found out that a simple blog can go well for those who are just thinking of using it as a personal memoir or sounding board for personal thoughts, opinions, and reflections or as hobby. In my case, I was up and about with the publication of my very first blog in 3 hours. Then I had my on-line sessions and face to face meeting with my mentor.  We asked questions of each other pertaining to the blog objectives, the plans, directions, target audience, tools to use that can influence my choice of topics and other things relevant to my desire of being a blogger. I was awed and actually overwhelmed by the plethora of knowledge she has as well as what I can attempt to aspire for. As the saying goes, the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step. I told her that at my age, I do not expect to complete the thousand mile journey. I will have to start things up for my organization, the PHA, and then pass it on to the younger sets at a later date.

4.      A BLOG TOOL. As mentored, I had to put my mindset at writing things that would be of interest to the readers or target audience, rather than what my interests are.  In so doing, I was asked to sample the tool available at http://adworks .google.com.  It is a site that asks you to list down key words that are relevant to your site or objectives.  Once you press the search button, it will instantaneously give you the number of hits those words were used to search for information in the web, worldwide or just in the Philippines  There were results where one could see the disparity in interests between countries.  While the word "lipo" had a worldwide search of 350T for a month, there were only 5T search for it from the Philippines.  Rhinoplasty at 300T vs. 4,400; Nursing jobs at 673T vs. 14,800; derma at 823T vs. 5,400; radiology at 1.2m vs. 6,600; Physical Therapy at 2.2m vs. 22,200; MRI at 2.240m vs. 12,100 and so on.

What then can the readers community of PHA expect in the future from this site? Interesting and high scoring searches follows: 
  • hospital jobs/employment
  • nurses
  • medical supplies
  • medical equipment-used or new
  • medical technology
  • maternity hospitals
  • medical malpractice
  • ortho, Philhealth and DOH matters
  • cancer treatments
  • executive checkups
  • and many others. 
Hopefully, other topics of interest will come up from comments and reactions that will be received from members of the blog community.

Other postings that may be considered in the future are:
  • Events
  • PHA participations in activities
  • member hospitals' special events and accomplishments
  • other relevant updates useful to hospital members and stakeholders 

So, please get on board and join us in this journey. Set your minds to engage the technological challenges that are before us. Please ponder on the quote below:

"In each of us are places where we have never gone.  Only by pressing the limits do you ever find them."--Dr. Joyce Brothers

Let’s get on with the blogs, everyone!

PHA E.O.
May 12, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment